A chocolate lovers dessert! You will be amazed how perfectly matched truffles are to all things chocolate. In fact, incorporating truffles with chocolate enhances and intensifies the flavour of the chocolate.
Why not give this decadent gluten-free Chocolate and no-fuss truffle dessert a try. It will please all palettes from the pickiest dessert eater to the refined foodie.
Serves approx. 10-12 pp
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 300g highest quality dark chocolate (65%+) chips or chopped bar
- 1-60g Pietro&Pietro dark chocolate with white truffle chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup Dutch process coca powder
- 3/4 cup granulated/raw sugar + 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 large eggs, separated
- Icing sugar and fresh raspberries (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 F (190C). Butter/spray non-stick cooking spray throughly around a 9-inch (23cm) springform pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom and grease the top of the parchment as well. Set aside on top of a baking sheet.
- Add the chopped chocolate and butter into a medium micro-save bowl and select melt (butter/chocolate) on your mircowave (or heat in 30 secs increments - checking and stirring) and heat and reheat until the butter is melted and the chocolate is soft-melted. Remove the bowl and stir with a spoon until the chocolate mixture is smooth and silky.
- Add cocoa powder - stir until fully incorporated and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites on high until foamy. Add 2 tbsps of sugar and return to high until whites hold a soft peak when the beaters are lifted. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whip the egg yolks with the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, salt and vanillia until the egg mixture is fully incorporated with a pale pillowy creamy texture (approx 2-3 mins).
- Alternate folding in the melted chocolate and the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture. Best to use a spatuala to fully remove all your chocolate and whipped egg whites. Do not over mix. Simply incorporate to combine all the batter.
- Pour your batter into the prepared pan with the resting cookie sheet underneath. Add both to the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes/or until the torte lifts (soffles) and cracks a little. The torte will collapse and further crack slightly once removed and begins to cool. This is what is suppose to happen (no worries:))
Cool the torte in its springform pan on a cooling rack and chill for at least 2 hrs before serving.
To serve, run a palette/slightly wet butter knife along the inside edge of the pan and slowly relese the springform ring. Repeat the process underneath the cake to remove the bottom of pan.
Set your torte on your favourite dessert plate or stand ready to serve.
Optional - We love adding some fresh raspberries and a nice dusting of icing for elegant and extra tasty finish.
- To serve, run a wet knife to slice the cake, wiping the blade between cuts.
Enjoy this rich chocolate and decadent treat with your favourite full-body red wines or a hot tea/coffee.