At ROOT44, we love everything about brunch! We think it's a perfect occasion to get creative and more decadent with your usual offerings. We are happy to share one of our favourite classic Shakshuka recipes "elevated" in the aroma and taste of black truffles. It may just become one of your favourite brunch recipes as well!
The base of this recipe calls for eggs. Eggs serve as a perfect neutral-flavoured ingredient which allow the rich earthy flavours and aromas of the truffle to explode. It also helps that you will be using the finest ingredients in your base sauce. Pietro&PietroTomato Sauce with Black Truffle does just that! The sun-ripened Mediterranean plum tomatoes infused with wild top-grade black truffles, will give you the extra layers of warm earthy flavours. As a final decadent touch, before serving, we sprinkle Pietro&Pietro Black Truffle Sea Salt. This Black Truffle Shakshuka recipe is just brilliant on the palette!
Serves approx. 3-4 pp
- 3 tbsps. EVVO
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 lg roasted/charred red bell pepper* seeded and thinly slice
- 2-3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt + ground pepper + to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin spice
- 1 tsp paprika spice
- 1/4 ground cayenne spice + a sprinkle of red pepper flakes (for a spicy heat)
- approx. 796 ml can organic whole plum tomatoes + 1 c water
- 1 jar (80g) PietroPietro Tomato Sauce with Black Truffles
- 6 XL eggs
- 1/4 c finely chopped cilantro
- 1 c Feta Cheese (or plant-based alternative) + plus extra
Place the peppers directly on the burner of a gas stove turned to high heat/or on a grill. After 2-3 minutes, the pepper's skin facing the burner will bubble and the skin will blacken. Carefully lift the pepper with tongs and turn and place an uncharred section of the pepper onto the heat. Repeat this process until most of the pepper is blackened. Place the charred pepper into a clean and sealable plastic bag. Allow the pepper to sweat and soften for a few minutes in the sealed bag. Remove and place on a cutting board, take your cutting knife and skin the pepper to remove the blackened skin, cut off the stem and open the pepper and discard seed and thinly slice into long pieces - set aside to add into to your recipe.
- Preheat your oven to Bake 375 F (190C). Heat EVVO in a Dutch oven/oven-safe skillet over med. heat for 1 min. Add the chopped shallots and sliced pepper with a pinch of salt + pepper. Stir occasionally until softened - approx. 5 mins. Add garlic, stir until tender, for 1-2 mins, followed by salt, pepper + spices for additional 2 mins.
- Carefully pour the can of plum tomatoes into the mixture along with the juices and set the stove to low. Fully mix and incorporate all the ingredients. Cover with lid and stir occasionally for approx. 6-10 mins. Add 1 c. water. Stir - then cover for a few more mins.
- Fold in the jar of Pietro&Pietro Tomato Sauce with Black Truffles. Cook an additional 2 mins. Add 1 tsp of Pietro&Pietro Black Truffle Sea Salt.
- Smell, Taste and Smile - Inhale the earthy truffle aroma. Taste the rich and spicy truffle tomato sauce and smile because you just made a perfect base for your eggs.
- Gently crack each egg into the sauce - spacing them out evenly.
- Sprinkle feta and transfer the Dutch oven/skillet into the heated oven without the lid.
- Bake for 8 - 12 mins (checking following 8 mins to see that the egg whites are opaque - then decide how done you wish to have your eggs - runny 8 mins - firm at approx. 12 mins)
Use oven mitts to transfer the Dutch oven/skillet to heat safe surface then let cool slightly.
Add an extra sprinkle of feta, cilantro and Pietro&Pietro Black Truffle Sea Salt and serve in wide bowls with a side of your favourite bread for scooping up the flavourful truffle tomato based sauce.